February 17, 2017

EEL ATTACK: Recovery Update with a bit of humor



ONLY IN MY NIGHTMARES ARE EELS THIS HUGE

Many people have asked me how I'm doing after my eel attack.  Well, here's a humorous account of my healing process.

The green moray eel that attacked me caused me to go thru many different feelings and emotions.  First there was fear, severe pain and panic.  Then the nightmares started.  I was often upset and sensitive.  Sometimes I was indifferent, bored, annoyed, frustrated, and mad.  Finally, I was darn right pissed off !

Eels don't see very well.  So what ?  My fingers look a squid ?  Apparently so.  Let's get something straight right from the beginning.  I did NOT feed the eel, I wasn't befriending it, I never saw it !  It came out of a hole in lightning speed some 4 feet away from me.  My only mistake was probably the fact that I was wearing a ring.  
Type of emotion:  UPSET

MY FINGERS MAY LOOK LIKE A SQUID IF THEIR TENTACLES WERE SEPARATED IN FRONT OF THEIR EYES

Why did all the Asian tourists on the tour boat that picked me up take constant pictures of me while I was screaming and blood rushing out of my hand and fingers?  At least let me know where you posted my agony, you tube ? Twitter ?
Type of emotion:  ANNOYED

At the Emergency room, they didn't even ask me before cutting off my favorite rash guard shirt and new bathing suit top.  They gave me an anti anxiety drip.
Type of emotion:  SENSITIVE (crying)

The first week or two, I was having the same scary nightmare.  I was snorkeling by myself, got attacked and passed out in the water because of the loss of blood.  I  then drowned and the eel finished me off.
Type of emotion:  FEAR and HORROR

Because of the possibility of bacteria, my Surgeon forbade me to go into the water for a month.   In the meantime, I took two types of antibiotics, pain killers, and anti inflammatory medicine.  All these meds put me into a zombie like state.
Type of emotion:  INDIFFERENCE

I visited the emergency room for 9 straight days after the attack.  I felt like a Queen, the way I marched up the stairs, thru the swing doors and straight into the emergency room.  I sat on an empty gurney and not 5 minutes later, Dr. Forbes and her assistant showed up.   They removed my bandages, cleaned my hand by scrubbing hard and eventually removed my 25 plus stitches on two different days.  My surgeon tested my hand and gladly said to me that I had no damage to my tendons.
Type of emotion:  OPTIMISTIC

The eel also bit my thumb nail.  As the nail grew, it was catching on my hair when I was washing it,  pulling the nail away from my skin, OUCH !  I decided to apply epoxy which turned my finger nail yellow but it worked.  Every sailor has epoxy on their boat, right?
Type of emotion:  PISSED OFF



There were good sides to being injured.  I did no cooking, no dishes, no cleaning, and my husband showered me and gave me his side of our Pullman berth. Then I started feeling useless.
Type of emotion:  BORED

I was the talk of Roatan.  Everywhere I went, because of my large bandages, they would say "Oh you are that girl".  My attack was posted on the Roatan Crime watchers Facebook page but ultimately got taken down because it wasn't a crime.  On the Roatan Marine Park Facebook page, they reminded everyone to NOT feed the fish.  I went on a mission to protect snorkelers and divers.  As Jacques Cousteau once said "No sooner does man discover intelligence than he tries to involve it in his own stupidity".  Therefore, to everyone I met, I'd say "Ask the tour operators if they feed the fish.  If they say yes, tell them you'll tip them if they DO NOT feed the fish".  
Type of emotion:  DRIVEN

My Emergency room Doctor and Surgeon gave me exercises to do to regain mobility.  While on "The Cay" at Guanaja, a German sailor saw my hand and invited me over to his boat so he can show me some exercises.  He was very concerned and compassionate.  His 30 year career was building prosthetics for hand burn victims.  
Type of emotion:  THANKFUL


THANKS JACK FOR SUGGESTING I USE A SPONGE

UP, DOWN, UP, DOWN.  YOU'D BE SURPRISED HOW HEAVY AN ONION IS

 Six weeks have now passed and I'm sad to report that I've lost 50% feeling in my index finger and it's crooked.  The rest of my finger is in pins and needles.  Two of my fingers are still swollen.  Because of the loss of feeling, I'm dropping my cocktail drinks !  And sorry Mom, I highly doubt I'll be able to ever play you Chopin's “Fantasie-Impromptu” #4 In C Sharp Minor, Op. 66, CT 46.
Type of emotion:  SADNESS and FRUSTRATION



BEFORE



AFTER 6 WEEKS























BEFORE

AFTER 6 WEEKS























BENDING IS STILL DIFFICULT

Once I arrived in the Cayman Islands, I found the courage to go snorkeling again.  I met a man named Manny from Guanaja and his lovely wife of all places, Nova Scotia.  For 12 years, he worked as a snorkeling guide in the Caymans.  He saw that I was very fearful of the Rays and I told him why.  He helped me face my fears by showing me how to hold a southern sting ray and kiss it.  WAS I NUTS ?  I think I'm cured.

Type of emotion:  RUSH and HAPPINESS


MANNY SHOWING ME HOW TO HOLD A RAY

I'M NOW CURED OF MY FEAR


                                     AND THE THANKS GOES TO.....

Dana:  Thanks for being there for me, swimming me back to safety.  Thanks for taking care of my underwater camera & dinghy.  What?  You took no pictures with my camera?

The tour operator:  Thanks for jumping into the water, helping me back on your boat and driving me to shore but mostly, keeping the Asians away from me.

Chris:  Thanks for giving me first aid, driving me to the emergency room and waiting for hours before driving me back.  I sure hope you enjoyed that bottle of Rum I gave you.

Rhia:  Thanks for the towels; I hope I left no blood in your car.

Cameron:  Thanks for calling Tim on VHF for everyone in the harbor to hear.  Mostly, thanks for practically carrying me to the car.

Debbie:  Thanks for delivering me clean, warm clothes at the emergency room.  What?  Lime green sweat pants and a hoody ?  I guess you didn't want any blood on your nice clothes.

Linda:  Thanks for rushing to me with your 1st aid kit but...you missed me, you were just too slow.  Thanks for being a true friend.

All the cruisers at the marina:  Thanks for your concerns and help with carrying my groceries but what about giving me a seat on the grocery bus ?  

Chiqui "the monkey":  Thanks for all the hugs every morning.  Please don't open up my water tank hose in my cockpit and let it run until my water tank is empty.

All the staff at the hospital:  Thanks for your all your kindness and compassion.  No, I don't need to go to the administration office...again.

To all my friends and family who sent me get well wishes by email, phone, Facebook, Twitter, Satellite phone, Skype, Facetime, etc.. etc.. etc..

My husband Tim:  I can't thank you enough for helping me thru this ordeal, not counting helping me thru shoulder surgery 4 months ago.  You've done so much for me and never ever complained.  The love you have for me is amazing, I love you.

I apologize if I missed anyone; it's all quite a blur.  You know who you are and I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

1 comment: